St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
(864) 638-6363 stjohnsluther@gmail.com
Preschool
(864) 638-8099 stjohnspreschool@bellsouth.com

Sunday Worship Services
Sunday School: 9:00 am
Fellowship: 10:00 am
Announcements: 10:25 am
Worship Service: 10:30 am
 
The First 40 years of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Up until 1907, there were two sermons per month delivered in German (Secton 10, Page 1, Keowee Courier, Monday August 7, 1950)
 
May 23, 1852:
Rev. Muller, Pastor of St. Matthews Lutheran church in Charleston visits Germans who moved to Walhalla to hold services in a church building owned by Col Gresham in West Union
       
May 23, 1852:
The first marriage was performed here by Rev. L. Muller for Johann Heinrich Kleinbeck and Gesina Luzie Hussman
       
May 23, 1852:
The first baptism was performed by Rev. L. Muller for Nicholas Georg Bullwinkle who was born Sep 1, 1851
       
May 23, 1852:
The first confirmation was held for Heinrich Schroder son of Heinrich Schroder and Anna Dorothea Fredericka Holwege
       
November 20, 1853:
St. John’s German Evangelical Lutheran Church is organized
       
Januar 21, 1859:
The congregation voted to build a church building
       
June 24, 1860:
The first meeting was held in the new church building
       
March 17, 1861:
The new church building was consecrated
       
1868-1877:
Newberry College resided in Walhalla
       
1868:
Dr. Josiah Smeltzer, President of Newberry College, organizes an English speaking Lutheran congregation called Holy Trinity which utilized St. John’s Church building in the afternoon
       
1868-1870:
Seminary resided in Walhalla
       
1869:
Synod Convention was held at St. John’s
       
December 19, 1871:
A parsonage was built
       
1876:
Rev. Smeltzer helped organize a Lutheran congregation in Townville (Anderson County) known as the new Bethlehem Lutheran Church
       
March 22, 1885:
The first Missionary Society was organized during the pastorate of Rev. J.F. Propst
       
1886:
Synod Convention held at St. John’s